A Lake With A View

This summer, three of my German exchange friends from high school have come back to Idaho for vacation. Anika was the first I was able to spend time with and it was a really great experience. You never know how much you miss someone until you see them after a long period of time.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We made plans the night before to go on a hike the next day to spend quality one on one time with each other and our day began! I woke up late by accident and ran around my house like a chicken with its head cut off in order to get around as fast as possible. I'm always the one to be late to any planned get together due to my terrible procrastination before hand.

Driving over to the trail head, I felt the excitement building up inside of me. It was so weird to think we would be seeing each other after such a long time, is this real life?

Mineral Ridge Scenic Trail in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho was our destination. I had always seen pictures of the trail that others had posted on social media, but I never knew how to get there. In order to find it, I had to use my favorite app in existence; Google Maps. Without this app, I probably would have been completely lost and going in the opposite direction.
Top of Mineral Ridge Scenic Trail overlooking Coeur d'Alene Lake, ID. 
Once we both arrived at the trail head and ran to each other, meeting with a huge hug. It was the kind of hug you only witness in movies; two people who care so much about each other and haven't seen each other in a very long time. The happiness I felt was beyond words, but the excitement for the rest of our day was unforgettable.

The hike to the top was 3.3 miles, but didn't feel anywhere close to it. The trail itself zig-zags around the mountain and didn't feel too steep. What caught my attention, was while we were following the designated trail, which did zig-zags all the way up, there were separate trails that went straight up. It made me think that the people who made those trails are the kind of people that make their lives into what they want, instead of letting others tell them how they should be living.

Perhaps I read too much into the little things in life, but those are the things that keep me open-minded in most situations.

The whole way up we caught up, talking about our high school experiences, the difference between our countries' graduation processes, and much more. It was nice to talk about my experiences that everyone I went to high school with already knew because it's considered normal, but seem foreign to those from different countries. It helped remind me how different countries are from one another and how it's always a good idea to learn more about the world around you.

We reached the top and it was the most beautiful view I had seen in a long time. It was everything  I saw in pictures throughout the years and more. Pictures weren't able to capture how amazing it was. The sound of the wind hitting against the trees, the smell of the pine trees mixed in with the dirt from the trail. There was no other noise except what nature provided; it was peaceful. You could see the highway down below off to the right, but you couldn't hear the obnoxious traffic. You could look out onto the lake and see boats, but couldn't hear the sound of the engines or the waves caused by them.

There was only peace.

There was a bench right at the very spot we were at. We sat and took in the wonder and beauty of the nature around us. We then decided to take photos together and that was a very tricky process. Since there wasn't anyone around us on the trail, we had to figure out a way to take photos together on our own with only our phones. After struggling to figure it out, we eventually were able to capture outstanding photos that helped show just how beautiful the view was.

Always remember to keep your mind open and appreciate the little things in life. You may not realize it in the moment, but it will help you to be able to live your life to the best of your ability and have more amazing memories stored that you can look back on later. Make the most out of your life, it's what we all deserve in this world.





Comments

Popular Posts