Small Town Full of Exchange Students

Throughout life, we meet people that never truly leave our lives. These are the people who you just click with, but with no real explanation why. For me, it's always been exchange students...

Throughout all 4 years of high school, I have met amazing people who connect with me instantly and are great friends to me. A few of these great friends have been German exchange students and one was an exchange student from Thailand! I, myself, have German blood in me and I have always had a longing to learn more about the German culture. Also, having lived in Hawaii, I was exposed to the Asian culture and have always found them to be wonderful people.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2014-2015: my first ever exchange student friend my freshman year and we instantly became best friends. We spent many nights laughing over the littlest things and being goofy with one another. You could usually hear us before seeing us! She and I have a connection that I've never had with anyone else; we just get each other. 

My family views her as my sister and basically my other half; we love her so much! We played volleyball and ran in track together, which is how we grew so close!

Normally, she visits every summer, but I haven't seen her in two years. This will change on July 5th, which is the day she flies back here. I couldn't be happier to see my "Little German" (she's 5'2"). She may be small, but she has sass. #SassMasterFromHannover <3
Dressed up for Prom in 2015.

2015-2016: one of two German exchange students that I met my sophomore year. Oh how she has a bubbly personality! She always views everything in a very positive perspective and it's one of her beloved traits. Her German accent can be spotted easily, but it's my favorite voice to hear. "HAAALLLEEEEIIIII," she would say at me when I would do something completely stupid! 

Her height is a huge factor when people first meet her because she was taller than most of the guys our age in the school (6'0")! This was never a bad thing, it made her hugs the best. We played volleyball together; both of us were the main hitters for the team. She didn't have to jump much, she could already reach over the net (lucky girl).

She left 2 years ago to go back to Germany and I realized I was going to miss her amazingly positive energy. She hasn't visited since leaving, but a few days ago she flew back here for vacation. I get to see her soon and the excitement is real!
Waiting in line outside at a concert in 2016.

2015-2016: one of two German exchange students I met during my sophomore year. She definitely stood out from everyone else in a very positive way. There was spunk in her personality that made me relate to her even more. I personally think we have a lot more in common than anyone realizes, which is how we get along so well. 

Her most noticeable feature was her beautiful shade of red, wavy hair. At youth group, she was honestly asked, "they have redheads in Germany?" We laughed about this for weeks on end and the memory still brings laughter to this day.

We played volleyball together and she swam for the local swim team, which she was very talented at! In January, we went on a double date to a school dance and had the most interesting experience. While ordering food at a local restaurant, us girls ordered large burgers while our dates ordered salads... Talk about switching roles haha! 

She left in February of 2016, but has been back several times to visit since she loves America so much! I finally got to see her again after a year and we went hiking! (I'll be writing about that soon.) I definitely love having her to spend time with!
Warming up in front of the homecoming bonfire in 2015.

2017-2018: very first exchange student friend from Thailand! When she first got here, I knew instantly that I wanted to be her friend. She was so kind, bubbly, and an amazing person to be around! 

Her love for singing and dancing in the car always made road trips 100x better. The hugs she would give were full of emotion and love, which made anyone who received one hesitant to let go. 

Everyone in the school loved being around her and she was constantly surrounded by friends. We went dress shopping with her host mom after a month of her being here and we picked out matching dressed and necklaces. To this day, our matching photo is still my favorite photo!

She left to go back to Thailand this past month and my life has felt empty since. I hope to one day see her again and to be able to tell each other all about our crazy life experiences!
Dressed up as Cinderella & getting a loving hug on Halloween in 2017.

It's crazy how living in such a small town, I was still able to meet people from all over the world and create bonds with them that will never be broken. I cherish all the memories I have with each of my exchange friends and can't wait to make more with them, hopefully in their home countries! ;) 


Comments

Popular Posts