Calgary, AB, Canada 2018

As a graduation celebration, I had the chance to go on a road trip through Canada to Calgary, Alberta!


4a.m. alarm clock screaming in my ear, last minute packing, and forgetting my passport 30 miles away from home was the beginning of my wild graduation celebration adventure. Once realizing my passport was sitting peacefully on my bedroom floor, I had to meet my parents half way to retrieve it. Off I went.

During the first gas station stop, "Just Graduated" window paint on the back of my car had to be removed so I could see more clearly. Two Mountain Dews and many snacks later, I was on the road again headed for my destination. The road itself to the boarder was a straight shot, but as the miles got shorter, my anxiety grew larger. "Are they going to let me through?" "Am I suppose to step out of the car and shake their hand?" "What if I smile wrong?" these were just some of the ridiculous thoughts that were going through my head. I had never been on a road trip on my own before, let alone a road trip to ANOTHER COUNTRY, what on earth was I thinking?!

I made it to the boarder without any scratches and nervously handed the officer my passport. The questions that were asked caught me off guard, but I soon realized I had nothing to worry about. "Have a nice day," the officer replied to me as she handed me my passport back. "I'M IN CANADA!" I screamed. Well, let's be honest, it was more of a mental scream, but you get the idea.



The road heading up to Calgary was a bit more confusing and by a bit more confusing, I mean a full, last minute turn around a sharp corner going about 120km/h (70mph). As I drifted around the corner, I could hear my own thoughts asking myself if I was going to die and thankfully we now know the answer to that question. This was probably the most stressful scene I had ever been apart of, but it was also the most exciting!

The first gas station I walked in to had a variety of different snacks that I never heard of in America. French, Asian dialect, and so much more! Here is a photo of one of my favorite snacks:

Yan Yan Yogurt & Bread Stick Snack
Once I made it to Calgary, I made myself at home in my hotel room and went out to eat at a Sports Bar & Grill. The food was delicious and the environment was very uplifting and friendly, so I felt like I belonged. I have never been in such a friendly place in the States. "What would you like to drink?" I was asked. This question confused me, so I asked what my choices were. The options I were given completely threw me for a loop, when I realized they were alcoholic choices due to the drinking age in Alberta being 18.

The main mission of the second day was to go see the Calgary Tower. Driving around the city was a very stressful situation for me, given the fact that there isn't extreme traffic in Northern Idaho. The streets didn't make sense for many different reasons and some of the locals told me that Calgary is the most confusing city in Alberta. The Calgary Tower is 626ft or 190m high, so the view down was extremely nerve-racking, especially for people who are afraid of heights. The views from all the windows of the tower were breath-taking. On sunny days, visitors are able to view the Rocky Mountains outside of the city.

Before Calgary, I never thought there would be much enjoyment in cities for myself. Downtown was very lively and fun, the streets were clean of trash and graffiti, which surprised me. One of my favorite streets is known as Stephen Avenue, which was full of restaurants, shopping, and entertainment. This street was full of laughter and many conversations between people of all different languages. 

Canada, in and of itself, has the most beautiful mountainous scenery I have ever seen. The diversity of people was spectacular to me, coming from an area that is very limited with roughly 5,000 people. The next few days in Canada were very interesting and wouldn't change my experience for the world. Whenever I plan on taking another road trip, Calgary will definitely be the first place I'll consider!

"Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in this world." - Gustav Flaubert 

Comments

Popular Posts